Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick’s Day Blessing

As I was starting this post last Monday I received word that my youngest brother had had a stroke. The world stopped. Life revolved around keeping vigil at Rob’s bedside at the hospital and being with his family.

Our Irish ancestors, Gordie - our dad and the Lord were surely watching over him as well, for today he is likely to be moved out of ICU. So on this St. Patrick’s Day our family is truly blessed.

IMG_8180

I had set the side board before setting the table. The purple was used to complement the chargers on the table.

IMG_8178

IMG_8182

IMG_8173

My shamrocks from the last couple of years are so large they would overwhelm the table. 

IMG_8249

You can see them on the counter in the butler’s pantry.

IMG_8249

A shamrock quilt is draped in the corner. My friend Nancy drew and appliqued the shamrock for me years ago.

IMG_8251

I A few weeks ago I received a call from my friend Terri. Terri is who gifted me with the lovely red chargers that were used on the For Christmas Give a Heart tablescape.

She was at Penny’s in the clearance section. Was I interested in purple glass hobnail chargers on sale for $4.00 each?
Now I have been being good, (the cupboards are full), but they were only $4! So I said yes, I’ll take eight.

Ok, it’s true I’m easy for dishes.

IMG_8227

The original plan wasn’t for a St. Patrick’s Day table, but when I opened one of the napkin drawers I saw these.

IMG_8224

St. Patrick’s Day napkins with tiny purple flowers and verses from Irish songs. I’m not sure what the purple flower is - it might be a nettle-leaved bellflower.

IMG_8231 

Perfect! A second set with crocheted lace on the edges add some softness at the edge.

IMG_8283

Dinner plates are Johnson Brothers, I don’t think I would ever actually eat on them as they are pretty delicate. I would pull them with the salad plate and serve the entrée on white plates.

IMG_8225

You can see the crazing around the stamp on the back of the plates.

IMG_8228

Christopher Stuart, Batalha White salad plates are topped with green depression glass bread plates.

IMG_8229

Stemware is a combination of my mums wedding pieces and Cambridge purple. Silver edged stemware from Home Goods and purple crackled wine glasses from Pier 1.

IMG_8215

I had to borrow the wine glasses from my mum as they were part of her birthday tablescape Purple Presents.

IMG_8245

IMG_8217

IMG_8232

May the raindrops fall lightly on your brow;
May the soft winds freshen your spirit;
May the sunshine brighten your heart;
May the burdens of the day rest lightly upon you;
And may God enfold you in the mantle of His love.


IMG_8267

Happy St. Patrick’s Day. May your family be as blessed as ours has been this week. Take care of yourselves and be sure to hug the ones you love.

Stitch at you Soon,

Dawna

Linking with :
The Tablescaper - Seasonal Sunday
Between Naps on the Porch - Tablescape Thursday

3 comments:

  1. As always, your table is graced with love and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely, Dawna! I think the little purple flowers are clover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely table! SO welcoming and festive. Glad to hear your brother is recovering. Happy St Pattys Day~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they brighten my day.