Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Nine Seam Quilt

IMG_0703a

Many times when I am quilting I want to make something with lots of triangles, flying geese or a peaky & spike bloke as Doreen Speckmann used to call them. I can happily spend hours cutting out shapes that take me hours to put together.

But sometimes, I need to make a quilt top that just gets me back into the mood of sewing. This quilt top had been sitting in the back of my brain for a while. The panel had been at the store http://www.boltsinthebathtub.com/  and every time I saw it, it was telling me it could be a beautifully simple quilt.

Do you have fabric like that? You’re not sure what to do with it, but you know it has to go home with you. Or you see it and it is instant fabric lust.


The panel in all it’s simplicity.

IMG_0690c

So I finally listened, so now I get to share it with all of you. I am not kidding when I say nine seams for the top of the quilt is all you need.

Seam one: Two panels sewn together to reduce excess solid
blue between blocks of the panels.

IMG_0690b

Seams two through five: Sew on borders. Stopping a quarter
inch from the end of the quilt top. I love how my #37 foot has
a notch a quarter inch in front of the needle. No guessing.

IMG_0308

IMG_0312

Seams six through nine: mark 45 degree angle on corners
and sew mitered seams.

IMG_0313

IMG_0315

IMG_0324

Pin along the seam line.

IMG_0317

I press the border out and the quilt top in. That way I can slide my needle right into the grove and stitch without catching any fabric in the corner.

IMG_0316

IMG_0329

IMG_0319

IMG_0330

Press seam open to make sure the corner matches and the seam
lies flat. Then I trim the seam to 3/8”. 

Quilt top is done.

IMG_0335

Now it’s time for some fabulous quilting. Luckily I have my friend Vickie at Vickie’s Quilt Studio. I love to piece, but quilting the layers together not so much. I like to say that I quilt by hand ….....I write the check to others.

After quilting, trim

IMG_0685

and bind. This is actually one of my favorite parts. I often bind numerous tops at one time. I know many of you dislike this part, but it can be very easy. I’ll show you sometime. I did the entire binding by machine as the Southern California Quilters Run is just about upon us.

IMG_0686

IMG_0687

Close ups of  Vickie's quilting.
IMG_0694b

IMG_0695b

Nine seam quilt. I think it will look great as a tablecloth.

IMG_0690a

Must be time for a picnic at the beach!

Stitch at you later,
Dawna

IMG_0706



Linking to Metamorphosis Monday with Susan @
Between Naps on the Porch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, they brighten my day.