Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Really Long Day - Part 1 - In the Studio

Yesterday was one of those days started early and went on forever. Friday the 31st was the contractors completion date at the new store. There was a big plan for the day.

So I awoke at 3:30 and after 15 minutes knew trying to sleep was a waste of time. So off to the sewing studio I went. With the Quilt Run coming almost immediately after the move there are samples to be made.

So from 3:50 to 6:05 I cut out all the pieces for a Primitive Gatherings pattern “Snowflake”. I am only making nine of the blocks. 

370_Snowflake_Quilt2

As usual I looked at the pattern and then refigured the cutting using the Nifty Notions  Rulers. I find that I save quite a bit of fabric using them. The Half Square

IMG_9131

(I flipped the ruler over & trimmed the other corner),

IMG_9132

and the Quarter Square.

IMG_9127

Then as I detest spending time drawing lines to sew on, I used the Cutting Corners Ruler designed by Sharon Craig. If you haven't used this ruler it is fabulous.

IMG_9128

IMG_9129


The setting triangles and corners were cut with the Nifty Notions Side set triangle. With this ruler all you cut is one strip size and there is no need to cut large squares diagonally. Lastly, the borders were cut.

IMG_9136

IMG_9139

The next time I awake in the middle of the night I am ready to sew. With everything going on I’m sure I will share the next step with you sooner than later.

IMG_9142

Stitch at you Soon, 

Dawna


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. No reason to waste usable hours in the middle of the night.

      Delete
  2. New-to-me rulers - like the explanation of why you like them. Of course, now I will have to check them out. I wish I could function in the middle of the night! I'm impressed and envious. I have a friend who can do that, but she goes to bed at 8PM.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they brighten my day.