Monday, July 30, 2012

Caramelized Onion Mac & Cheese


Tonight I reduced the Under the Sea tablescape down to four placesttings for my Friend Vickie’s birthday dinner.

IMG_2535

I started the meal with Caprese Salad. Whenever we have a potluck she asks me to bring it, so I knew it would make her happy.

IMG_2529

I love this time of the year as the tomatoes are so good. I am lucky enough to have friends with abundant gardens who share.


IMG_2532

For the main dish we had Chicken Piccata, steamed zucchini and a kind of macaroni and cheese.

IMG_2537

I was playing in the kitchen last night after work and decided to use cheese as the GG wasn’t going to be home for dinner.

Cooked pasta shells were used for the base as I love how they hold any cheese or sauce that is put with them.  I grated three kinds of cheese: Londoner  White Cheddar Cheese, Garlic Jack and Sharp Cheddar. It was probably about 1 1/2  to 2 cups. this was mixed with 2 tbsp. of Dijon mustard, 2 beaten eggs, 1/3 cup Fage Greek plain yogurt. A 2 quart covered casserole was sprayed with Pam and all the ingredients were mixed together. Lastly, I sprinkled  crumbled Salem Blue cheese on top.

It was baked at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. It was pretty good, but lacked a little something. Onions!  Caramelized. So I sliced a large yellow onion and sautéed it with a 1/2 cube of butter and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar. Mixed it in with the remaining shells & cheese from last night, topped with more Blue Cheese and warmed in the oven at 225 for a 1/2 hour. It was a hit at dinner.

We were having such a good time I forgot to get a shot of  the ice cream, halved pears and chocolate sauce we had for dessert. The dishes are done, so it’s time to call it a night.

Stitch at you soon,
                      
Dawna

Linking to StoneGable - On the Menu Monday

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I enjoyed your post. I found it via Stone Gable's On the Menu Monday. I have linked in some rhubarb and banana jam I made to use up some bananas that were turning brown. Have a nice week.

    Ps I am now following you via GFC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following Carole's Chatter. Look forward to seeing what you are up to. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they brighten my day.