Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ripping to Redesign a Pattern

So you choose a quilt pattern. Then you choose fabrics. Usually it is simple, but sometimes something goes awry by the time you finish. This happened to me a couple of years ago when making a quilt for Moda U.

The pattern was Rainbow Sherbet – sounds pretty doesn't it. Bright, cheerful and summery. 

rainbowsherbet

I decided to use Northcott’s  May flower of the month fabrics to celebrate my birthday. It was perfect that there was a lot of pink & green.

IMG_6576

The blocks were 15” finished and looked like this.
IMG_6576

The problem was when they were all sewn together an unwanted design developed. When the black and green met up all I could see was a swastika. So it went into the cupboard until recently.

IMG_6511

Anna, who teaches at Bolts, likes batiks and thought it would be a great quilt to teach in a class. Her fabrics were all medium values and so read the same as the pattern.

I unearthed mine from the cupboard and started ripping. Then I played in EQ7. And this is what I have come up with so far. I will play some more tomorrow.

The plan is to re-sew the top before the class to give the students another way of looking at the pattern.

Rainbow sherbet 1

Rainbow Sherbet 3

Rainbow Sherbet 2

I think I will sleep on it.

Stitch at you Soon,
Dawna



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, they brighten my day.